Thursday 30 January 2014

East End Providore

I have walked past this café so many times without stopping in. Each time I’ve had one excuse or another, whether it be a lack of time time or that I’ve already had a coffee or something else. This time, I finally stopped in – and I wish I had of sooner.

East End Providore is relatively new to Ebenezer Place. A clean and modern fit-out has been executed in a minimalistic way which hints back to times that have passed. The homely set up with the wall shelves selling all of the goodies which they sell in store further hints towards this ideology. The interior would be a perfect place to dine in, and there is outdoor seating available too, though it is limited.

EEP sells a range of breakfast and lunch items along with their coffees and smoothies which are available to order. They use a special imported bean called Cirelli, and Bonsoy is their soy of choice. Along with this, they also offer Rice Milk and are looking into using Coconut Milk as an option too. The owner informed me that they have plans to begin selling a range of sugar free, gluten free, lactose free and vegan dessert cakes. One can hope this will be reminiscent of Argo’s selection.

This has to have been one of my best café experiences yet. The staff were lovely – and patient as well, when I couldn’t find my money – the atmosphere in the shop was clean and welcoming and the coffee scored pretty highly too.


The temperature of the milk was perfect, the shot tasted clean and the soy was well frothed. Their bean and milk of choice were commendable, and the only thing that let them down was the milk to coffee ratio. I found that in the small takeaway cup I had, there was too much milk in comparison to the shot of coffee. Luckily the milk had been done so well – and that if it could be so allowed, I would drink litres of Bonsoy just for pleasure - or else this may have been more of a problem. Next time I will ask for ¾ the amount of milk, because in all other aspects I am excited to return to this great little place. The final rating for the coffee is a solid 9.







No comments:

Post a Comment